Saturday, September 7, 2013

Pregnant?!?

My husband and I weren't really trying to get pregnant but we weren't really trying not to either. I was tracking my cycles and I had stopped taking birth control. We used protection when I was supposed to be ovulating. We weren't going to actively start trying until next year. We wanted to move to a new house and go one one more big trip before we settled down and gave up our single lives.

That all went out the window pretty quickly. Baby had other ideas.

My period wasn't even late but I felt nauseas and tired and was worried I might be getting the flu. Our friends had recently moved to a great new place and were throwing their first backyard summer bash that evening. I didn't want to go if I was really coming down with something. I hate it when people show up to social events and spread their disgusting cold germs.

I sat down at my computer and did a little googling. I thought about my symptoms and the pieces started to fall into place pretty quickly. Congestion CHECK. Breast tenderness DOUBLE CHECK. Nausea CHECK. Exhaustion CHECK. Crying for no reason CHECK. Something just felt different.

I had a pregnancy test I'd purchased months before but had never used. My internal dialogue went something like this: Why no just take it? It will probably be negative and I can just curl up in bed with a good book and stay in for the evening. I was wrong. 

No more than 30 seconds after I peed on that little stick was there a bright blue line. I was pregnant! Holy crap. It must be wrong! This wasn't what I planned. I decided to reread the directions. Yep, all signs point toward pregnant. Well this is just dandy.

My husband is yelling for me. We're supposed to be leaving. We're going to be late. CRAP! I'm not one for secrets. No reason to deal with this huge news on my own. I open the bathroom door and say "We need to talk. I think I'm pregnant". Poor husband was blindsided. "Really? Are you sure? Let me see that." He takes the pregnancy test and proceeds to read the directions. "Did you do it right?" Did I do it right?!? Its peeing on a stick. I'm an intelligent woman. I can pee on a stick correctly...can't I??

The news settles in a bit and we look at each other. OK. I guess this is it. My husband starts to look happy. He's going to be a dad. He hugs me and asks "Are we still going to the party?" No reason not to. My whole world hasn't just been turned upside down or anything. 

We stop at the pharmacy on the way to the party and pick up some prenatal vitamins and another box of pregnancy tests to use later. We want to be sure. We splurge on the kind with a digital readout just to be sure we're reading the results right.

This party is going to be a blast...

No comments:

Post a Comment